Is Bitcoin threatened by digital dollar?

tylerwinklevoss
2022-10-21 05:28:32

I saw this news and it got me thinking if the growth of Bitcoin in United States is gonna be hindered since the government plans on introducing digital dollar. Though I've no idea how it's gonna work.

"The White House is urging the Federal Reserve to explore the launch of a digital dollar, or Central Bank Digital Currency, which would be controlled by the Fed. This identical digital twin of the dollar would be completely regulated. A U.S. digital dollar "facilitates faster cross-border transactions and is environmentally sustainable," the Biden administration explained. "It could promote financial inclusion and equity by enabling access for a broad set of consumers." It could also "protect against cyber and operational risks, safeguard the privacy of sensitive data, and minimize risks of illicit financial transactions."
In addition, the White House believes a U.S. digital dollar "could also help preserve U.S. global financial leadership, and support the effectiveness of sanctions."

I myself don't think this will be that much of an issue since the so called "Digital Dollar" is still gonna be controlled by the Federal Governments which makes it not decentralized unlike Bitcoin.

But what do you think?

elandicaprio
2022-10-21 05:30:50

I am not seeing CBDCs to be affecting Bitcoin directly...instead am seeing it to be helping people to get more into Bitcoin as these digital dollars can then be integrated with different platforms that are also working with cryptocurrency. In other words, these digital coins issued by the governments can be acting like stablecoins...and we know that the introduction of stablecoins never affected Bitcoin and they even enhanced Bitcoin and the rest of the altcoins market. This is not going to be a threat to Bitcoin but there is a possibility this can be affecting the existing stablecoins we have.